Online registration for the 40th annual Bainbridge Youth Services (BYS) Fun Run has started at www.bifunrun.org.
The BYS Fun Run is a family-friendly Bainbridge Island tradition, and tis year’s edition will again feature chip timing. Organizers said the run is a great way to kick off the Fourth of July celebration as the event begins in downtown Winslow on the morning of July 4.
Beat feet with one of three options: the 1 Mile Run/Walk (starts at 9 a.m.); the 5K Run/Walk (starts at 9:15 a.m.); or the Kids Dash (starts at 10:30 a.m.).
All ages and abilities are welcome, and BYS has set a goal of having 1,000 participants this year.
All proceeds from the Fun Run will benefit BYS, which for more than 57 years has been a cornerstone in the community, offering free and confidential counseling, scholarships and job services to youth and teens from ages 12 to 21.
“Our ability to directly serve youth annually with free counseling would not be possible without the wonderful partnership between the sponsors and runners who support BYS and the services that so many youths and their families depend upon each year,” said Cezanne Allen, executive director of BYS.
Participants who register soon can take advantage of an early-bird discount.
Online preregistration will continue until 7 p.m. Wednesday, July 3.
Day-of-race registration will be held in the Island Fitness lower parking lot, beginning at 7 a.m. Signups stop at 8:30 a.m. sharp for the one mile and 5K events. There is an extended day of registration window for Kids Dash participants, which is open until 10 a.m.
The Fun Run T-shirts have artwork designed by Bainbridge High School student Lauren DeGall and feature her unique flaming tennis shoe design. DeGall was the first-place winner in the BYS Fun Run art contest, and second place went to Soap Allen. BYS officials said more than 100 entries were received, and the students were honored and received cash prizes at the May BHS Spring Arts Festival.
Key race event details:
• Fun Run packet pickup will be available July 3 during the downtown street fair from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Island Fitness Lower Parking lot on Madison Avenue.
• Event check-in on July 4 begins at 7 a.m. at the Island Fitness lower lot.
• Ribbons will be awarded to first, second and third place in each race for the male and female categories. All Kids Dash participants receive ribbons.
• Preregistration fee for the 5K and the one mile race is $25 with an optional T-shirt while supplies last.
• Day-of-race registration fee is $35 for the 5K and one mile. Family and Group rate is $90. Kids Dash fee is $10 online preregistration and $15 for day of registration. Kids Dash participants receive a T-shirt while supplies last.
Can’t participate in the event but still want to support community youth? You can donate to BYS at www.bifunrun.org (the green donate now button).
According to BYS, every $100 donation equals 1.5 hours of counseling for youth ages 12 to 21.
People who would like to volunteer for the event can contact Fun Run coordinator Helen Stevenson at 206-992-7011 or call the BYS office at 206 842-9675.