Pet owners worldwide are using CBD products with their pets to help them manage chronic pain, separation anxiety, motion sickness while traveling, and much more.
All mammals have a similar endocannabinoid system — which is the system CBD leverages to produce its effects. This means CBD and other cannabinoids have the same impact on a dog as they do for humans.
Let’s dive straight in with the top three CBD brands for pets.
Top-Rated CBD Pet Products For 2020
- Royal CBD – Award Winning, Best CBD Product For Dogs Overall
- Gold Bee – Runner Up, Quality Product at a Good Price
- Blessed CBD – Potent CBD, But Only Ships to the UK
1. Royal CBD Dog Treats — Editor’s Pick
Royal CBD is a well-known CBD brand with thousands of loyal customers relying on its CBD products every month.
Recently, Royal CBD made a push into the CBD for pets space with a line of CBD dog treats and a line of CBD pet oils.
While both the treats and the oils are considered some of the best CBD pet products available (in terms of both quality and price), the dog treats really stand out.
What makes these treats special is their specialized formulation. There are three versions of these treats, each optimized for a different application.
Other herbs and nutrients are added to the treats to make them better for managing specific health complaints:
- Active Treats — turmeric, boswellia, CBD
- Calming Treats — L-theanine, chamomile, CBD
- Hearty Treats — blueberries, flaxseed, CBD
Each treat comes with 5 mg of CBD, along with a blend of the herbs listed above. They’re made from all-natural ingredients and verified by a third-party lab to prove the CBD content matches what’s advertised and that the treats are free from common contaminants.
- Formulated with other ingredients for added benefits
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes (5 mg per piece)
- Backed by a 30-day guarantee
- Only available online (not offered at local pet shops or dispensaries)
2. Gold Bee CBD Oils — Runner-Up
Gold Bee is one of the premier CBD brands on the market. They’ve been mentioned among the best CBD companies in the industry by reputable media outlets including SF Examiner, SA Current, Metro Times, Cleveland Scene, Riverfront Times, Orlando Weekly, VentureBeat, Observer, SF Weekly, LA Weekly, We Be High, and more.
This company doesn’t have a pet-specific line of products — but they don’t need to for their oils to be safe and effective for dogs.
Make sure to match the potency of the oil with the size of your dog, and go for the unflavored version:
- 300 mg CBD oil — for small dogs (less than 20 pounds)
- 600 mg CBD oil — for medium dogs (between 20 and 50 pounds)
- 1200 mg CBD oil — for large dogs (over 50 pounds)
None of the CBD oils offered by Gold Bee are psychoactive. They contain trace amounts of THC (the cannabinoid that makes people who use marijuana feel high). The amount of THC in these oils is far too low to produce any psychoactivity.
As long as a CBD oil contains low THC (less than 0.3%), doesn’t include ingredients that are unsafe for dogs (such as chocolate extract or caffeine) and has been proven to be free from harmful contaminants — they’re safe to use with your dog.
Gold Bee CBD oils tick all the boxes.
One of the main benefits of using products that aren’t specifically marketed for dogs is the cost.
Most CBD companies will use the exact same oils for its pet oil lineup and its regular lineup — but the cost of the pet products is up to 15% higher. This is simply because the product appears to be a “specialized” CBD oil for animals — in reality, they’re the same thing.
Gold Bee oils cost less than most CBD pet oils — yet the quality is higher than average.
- Lower cost and higher quality than the average CBD pet oil
- Made from organic hemp and available in multiple different potencies
- Backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee
- No pet-specific flavor options available
3. Blessed CBD Oils — The UK’s Best CBD Oil
Blessed CBD is a UK-based CBD brand with a solid track-record in Europe. This company has been a pioneer in the European CBD scene. They were one of the first companies to implement third-party testing as a standard, and one of the only UK-based brands to source organic hemp to make their products.
We’ve included Blessed CBD as the top-rated brand for pets if you’re living outside the United States. Due to differences in how CBD oils are regulated in the US, Gold Bee and Royal CBD aren’t available outside the country.
Like Gold Bee, Blessed CBD oils aren’t specifically marketed for dogs — but this doesn’t mean they aren’t both safe and effective for our canine friends.
These oils contain a pure full-spectrum extract mixed with hemp seed oil. There are no added ingredients that would make this oil unsafe for dogs, and the THC content is below 0.2% (the legal limit for the UK).
We recommend going for the 500 mg CBD oil for dogs of all sizes. This company uses a smaller bottle size than most CBD oils (10 mL instead of 30 mL). This means the same 500 mg of CBD is diluted into a smaller volume — making this oil more potent than other 500 mg oils.
A good alternative option for UK residents to consider is Crush CBD.
- Made from organic hemp and premium hemp seed oil
- Excellent cost to potency ratio compared to other CBD pet oils
- A third-party lab independently tests all batches of hemp extract
- Only available in the UK
What Are the Benefits of CBD For Dogs?
Dogs have just as much to gain from using CBD products as humans. They have the same endocannabinoid system as us — which means CBD oils can provide benefits such as:
- Alleviate anxiety and chronic stress
- Reduce inflammation and chronic pain
- Support sleep quality
- Mitigate or prevent motion sickness while traveling
- Boost immune function
- Promote joint health and recovery
The most common uses of CBD products for dogs are chronic joint pain in aging animals and separation anxiety in dogs of all ages.
How Much CBD Should I Give My Dog?
With that said, every dog owner should spend some time adjusting the dose when using CBD with their dog for the first time. It may take some time to find a dose that works for your companion without causing side effects (a sign that you’re using too much CBD).
The most common side effects to be aware of are fatigue and lethargy. If your dog is sleeping more than usual after using CBD, you should reduce the dose slightly.
Most Common CBD Dosages for Dogs Based On Weight:
- Small Dogs (2 – 20 lbs) — 1 mg – 5 mg CBD
- Medium-Sized Dogs (20 – 50 lbs) — 5 mg – 10 mg CBD
- Large Dogs (over 50 lbs) — 10 – 20 mg CBD
How to Get The Most From Your CBD Products For Dogs
CBD oil on its own has a lot of benefits to offer your dog, but you can make it even better by incorporating other techniques to help with the condition as well.
A few examples include:
- Changing your dog’s food to a low-inflammatory formula
- Ensuring your dog is getting plenty of daily exercise
- Incorporating terpene concentrates to boost the effects of CBD (a good source for this is Finest Labs)
- Using other dog-friendly supplements or medications to support their condition
Key Takeaways: Best CBD Products For Dogs
Many pet owners are using CBD products to help with their dogs’ anxiety, chronic pain, inflammation, and much more. You can find all kinds of CBD pet products — ranging from CBD oils to CBD dog treats. Both options work great, but it’s important to always source these products from reputable brands to avoid wasting your money on unsafe or ineffective products.
The best CBD products for dogs are made from organic hemp, contain a full-spectrum extract, and offer dog-friendly flavors or ingredients to boost the effects of CBD.
If you’re looking for a quick recommendation, we recommend checking out the CBD treats from Royal CBD or the unflavored CBD oils from Gold Bee.