NK soccer advances to state semifinals

North Kitsap advances to the state semifinals after defeating Pullman 2-0 May 18 in a quaterfinal matchup.

The Vikings first chance came in the seventh minute when Harper Sabari passed a through ball to Pepe DeLuna. However, DeLuna was tripped from behind in the box, forcing a penalty kick.

DeLuna fired a shot into the bottom right corner that was saved to keep the game scoreless.

Pullman’s first opportunity arrived in the 23rd minute from a corner kick. However, the NK defense cleared the ball immediately and looked to counter.

The Vikings found the back of the net when trying to clear the ball from their defensive end. The long ball flew over the Pullman defenders, and DeLuna juked the goalie for the first goal in the 35th minute.

Sabari found himself in a similar situation as a long ball cleared the defense and gave him a breakaway with the goalie. Sabari shot it into the lower left corner in the 73rd minute to pad to the lead.

NK threw down W.F. West in the state tournament’s opening round with a 5-0 victory May 14.

“It was a good balanced performance,” coach Greg St. Peter said. “We executed really well but they always know they can do better.”

North Kitsap’s first goal came off Mason Chmielewski’s throw-in.

“We treat it as a corner or another set play because we are pretty good at sets plays and can score off that,” Chmielewski said. “We were watching film and saw this goalie wasn’t too confident with his hands. I am just going to try and put it on the keeper.”

Chmielewski threw it a couple feet in front of the goal and the WF West goalie deflected into his net in the seventh minute.

Chmielewski also picked up an assist on a throw-in in the 37th minute when Mason Peters headed it in. Chmielewski finished the night with a header off an Ethan Peck cross.

DeLuna also scored off a Logan Anderson through-ball in the 36th minute and Gavin Rogers scored in the 54th minute after nailing the crossbar a few minutes beforehand.