UPDATE | Bainbridge man charged with murder of his former boss

A Bainbridge Island man was charged with first-degree murder in Kitsap County Superior Court Friday after he allegedly shot his former employer at a job site near High School Road Wednesday.

Brian Andrew Glaser, 31, was arrested Thursday after a nearly five-hour interview with detectives in which he allegedly told police that his former boss was killed because he had poisoned his dog a few months earlier.

The murder victim was identified as Donald Duckworth, 61.

Police were called to a property in the 7000 block of High School Road Wednesday afternoon on a 911 call about a suspicious death. Officers found three trucks on the property, and the homeowner told police he had hired Duckworth, of Duckworth Pump & Well Drilling in Poulsbo, to put in a well .

Investigators found Duckworth had been shot multiple times, and the victim’s wife named Glaser as a possible “person of interest” in the crime.

Glaser had once worked for Duckworth, according to court records, but said he was hurt on the job several months ago. The victim’s wife also said her husband didn’t believe that Glaser was hurt on the job and the disagreement made Glaser seem “ready to snap,” according to the statement of probable cause for Glaser’s arrest.

The victim’s son also told police there was “bad blood” between the two men, and he recalled how he and his father had passed Glaser on the road recently going in opposite directions. Duckworth had waved to Glaser but he didn’t wave back, but then turned around and caught up with Duckworth’s truck, then passed him in an aggressive manner, his son said.

Police found Glaser’s truck in his driveway, and it matched a witness account of another vehicle seen at the murder scene.

Detectives also discovered Glaser’s fingerprints on one of the trucks at the property at the High School Road property where Duckworth had been drilling the well.

Bainbridge police went to watch Glaser’s home on Eagle Harbor Drive Thursday, and stopped him as he was seen leaving.

At the beginning of police questioning Thursday afternoon, Glaser allegedly asked to “plead the fifth” after he was asked about the last time he saw Duckworth and his own whereabouts Wednesday.

Glaser allegedly said he had seen the victim on the day of his murder, but claimed he was still alive when he left the worksite.

He then told police he drove home and “heard some gunfire later, but it may have been from the nearby gun range.”

Glaser also allegedly offered a motive to police during his interview.

“After much discussion about ‘what if’ scenarios and ‘hypothetical’ situations, Glaser made tacit admissions concerning the motive for the murder being that he ‘knew’ the victim had poisoned his beloved dog several months earlier,” wrote Bremerton Police Detective Martin Garland in the statement of probable cause.

Glaser also told police Duckworth had been shot multiple times while he was on the ground “so he wouldn’t suffer,” according to court documents.

Police said Glaser eventually agreed to show police the gun used in the attack, and officers obtained a search warrant to get the firearm from a backpack in the living room of Glaser’s home.

Police found the loaded gun where Glaser had said it was, and he also pointed investigators to a spot in the wooded area in front of his home where he had wrapped up and buried the shell casings from the murder scene.

Officers found 16 shell casings, which police said were consistent with the spent rounds recovered from where Duckworth had been murdered.

Glaser was booked into Kitsap County Jail Thursday on one count of first-degree murder.