Spent fireworks spark destructive blaze in Suquamish

A trailer full of fireworks was accidentally ignited, leading it to be engulfed in flames in the early morning hours of July 14 in Suquamish.

According to a report from North Kitsap Fire and Rescue, it was spent fireworks that ignited a pile of debris that spread to the 8-foot x 20-foot storage container full of fireworks along Suquamish Way.

NKF&R crews were called to the incident just after midnight when the caretaker for the fireworks stand awoke to find the fire and attempted to put it out. When crews arrived the container was fully engulfed with fireworks exploding on the inside.

Due to the volatile contents of the storage container, firefighters kept their distance and focused their attention on the caretaker’s trailer and a brush fire that ignited on the roadside. Crews from Poulsbo and Bainbridge assisted. Due to the lack of fire hydrants, tender trucks were called to help contain the blaze.

One crew used a hose nozzle designed to pierce through metal while shooting water to contain the blaze inside the container, which was completely destroyed. Despite the heat and fireworks exploding, firefighters saved the majority of the caretaker’s trailer.

The caretaker told crews that there had been a group of people playing with fireworks in the parking lot earlier that evening. He had asked them to clean up their debris before they left. According to the Kitsap County fire marshal’s investigation, the likely cause of the fire was the spent fireworks had not fully cooled before being thrown on the debris.

Due to high fire danger, a county-wide burn ban has been imposed, and fire officials are encouraging the public to refrain from using any ignition sources, including fireworks.