Rebecca Parson, a Democratic Party candidate for Washington state’s 6th Congressional District, will visit Bainbridge Island Thursday for a campaign event.
Parson will be at OfficeXpats at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 13.
She is being hosted for her first meet-and-greet on Bainbridge Island by Bainbridge Climate Action and Indivisible Bainbridge.
Parson’s background includes:
• Commissioner on the Tacoma Commission on Disabilities, where she has worked to bring a wheelchair-accessible taxi service to Tacoma;
• Human rights observer in an indigenous Zapatista community in Mexico that was threatened by paramilitary groups;
• Worked with the International Association of Genocide Scholars and presented at their conference in Sarajevo;
• Court-appointed special advocate for kids in foster care;
• Organizer with the Democratic Socialists of America;
• Board member of Whole Washington, a group fighting for single-payer healthcare in Washington; and
• Democratic Party precinct committee officer.
If elected, Parson’s goals include: Medicare for All; 12 million new units of social housing in the next decade; the Green New Deal; $15 federal minimum wage floor (more in high-cost areas); cancellation of student debt; starting salary of $60K for all public school teachers; abolition of private prisons; and an end to the country’s involvement in “forever wars.”
For more information about Parson’s campaign, visit https://rebeccaforwa.com.