A Bainbridge Island woman was airlifted to Seattle for medical care after suffering serious burns Wednesday morning.
The woman, whose identity was not released, was burned at home, said Bainbridge Island Fire Department Chief Hank Teran, after her clothes caught fire while she was cooking
The mishap occurred just after 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 24.
The woman was initially reported in stable condition.
The urgency of the airlift was necessitated, Teran said, not so much by the severity of the injuries necessarily but by the specialized treatment that is often required by burns.
“Typically, if it’s a burn of any concern, you want to make sure you get them to a facility that can handle burns,” Teran said. “In addition to the injury itself, you want to make sure that wherever they go they’ll be able to handle that.”