Sixth season shutout for Spartan boys soccer team

Gerrit Mahling struggles to regain control of the ball during Friday
Gerrit Mahling struggles to regain control of the ball during Friday's game against West Seattle.
— image credit: Luciano Marano | Bainbridge Island Review

BAINBRIDGE -  The Bainbridge High varsity boys soccer team beat the visiting team from West Seattle so badly Friday, May 2, that they literally took the shirts of their backs.

Or rather, they took them back.

It seems as West Seattle packed up for their trip to the island they remembered their game faces, but forgot their jerseys. They played instead decked out in Bainbridge’s away jerseys, however, even donning the Spartan colors could not sway the game’s outcome in their favor.

The final score was 3-0 BHS.

Spartan Head Coach Ian McCallum said that the win against West Seattle was truly a testament to the team’s ability to play less than fully rested, having come off of a hard fought win against Eastside Catholic just the day before.

“Last night was an important one, and we were outstanding last night,” he explained. “We played really well [Thursday] night, and we’re a little tired tonight. Sure, we still got the win, and we got the shutout, so [that’s] job done.”

McCallum said that the game against West Seattle was fraught with pauses, which contributed greatly to the decreased momentum of the action.

“Tonight there were so many stoppages in the game,” he said. “The referee called every foul, he stopped so many times and we couldn’t get into the flow of the game. I think it would have been a better game if he stopped calling so many fouls. We never got into the flow, we’re tired.”

This particular shutout victory was again defended by the go-to Spartan goalies Devon Reynolds and Ari Pitasky.

Offensively, several team members made standout contributions to the score.

Glodi Kingombe, assisted by Finn Delthaedea, made the first goal of the game at 30 minutes of play.

The second goal, made at 67 minutes, was scored by Sam Casad and assisted by team co-captain William Economy.

The third and final goal of the game again saw the decisive move made by Kingombe, when he made his way past the defensive efforts of West Seattle unassisted at 78 minutes of play.

The second half  the game saw considerably more offensive action than the first which, according to McCallum, was further testament to the team’s initial inability to get into the game.

“We just talked about the referee and getting into the flow,” he explained. “The pre-game buildup wasn’t good. We had to grab them jerseys [for West Seattle], then we got locked out of the cage and it was just like a perfect storm. So I just said, ‘Hey, we’ve had our warmup. The first half’s a warmup. Let’s get into our game.’ And it was much better.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates