Game No. 2 is second shutout win for varsity boys soccer

Spartan goalie Devin Reynolds makes a critical save during an O’Dea penalty shot Tuesday, March 25.  - Luciano Marano | Bainbridge Island Review
Spartan goalie Devin Reynolds makes a critical save during an O’Dea penalty shot Tuesday, March 25.
— image credit: Luciano Marano | Bainbridge Island Review

The Bainbridge High boys varsity soccer team were already winning as they entered the final moments of the home game against O’Dea Tuesday, March 25, but it obviously wasn’t enough for them.

The Spartans scored four goals in the final 22 minutes, ending the game with a 7-0 win.

Those points, in addition to the three goals they scored earlier in the match, earned them the final score of seven.

But it was the impenetrable performance of Spartan goalies Devin Reynolds and Ari Pitasky that assured success, said Spartan Head Coach Ian McCallum.

“Everyone busted their butt, but they key moment in the game was the penalty save by Devin Reynolds just before halftime,” McCallum said. “If we were going to give an award, I think we’d give it to Devin.”

The Spartans were up 1-0 at the end of the first half when O’Dea got their penalty shot. It was a good kick, but Reynolds moved quickly and managed to keep the visitors off the board.

Then, at the 52nd minute of play, the goals began.

Tanner Salmon kicked off the Spartan scoring frenzy, assisted by William Economy.

Then, at 58 minutes into the game, Economy scored a goal of his own assisted by Keats Hoonan.

Moments later, at 69 minutes of play, Garrit Mahling scored another one for BHS, assisted by Sam Maracich.

The last few minutes of play were marked by not one, but two final Spartan goals in rapid succession.

Maracich netted another for the home team at 78 minutes, assisted by Glodi Kingombe, and the final goal came at 80 minutes exactly, unassisted, by Kingombe himself.

“I think, a little bit, they just got a taste of the blood, honestly,” McCallum said of the team’s late-game scoring fervor. He also said that in general the team had developed much faster offensively than defensively so far this season.

“I think that was always going to happen,” he explained. “[It’s] just the mindset of the players. They’re a pretty offensive-minded team.”

“I think we’ve got to get a stronger defense. We need to tighten up some things, but you can’t ask for more [than a shutout],” the coach added.

The lopsided win over O’Dea brought the team’s overall early season record to 2-0.

“I felt they were over thinking some things,” McCallum said of the team’s early game performance. “We weren’t moving forward when we should have. We’ve got 19 players and everyone wants to play, and that’s great, but that’s tough. Hopefully it just means when the guys get in they take their opportunities to make it hard for me and the other coaches.”

McCallum said that perhaps the team’s first real challenge will come during their first game on the road against Bishop Blanchet Thursday, March 27.

“No offense to O’Dea, but they’re not one of the powerhouses in the program,” he said. “It’s going to be tougher on Thursday, for sure.”







We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates