Letters to the Editor

Water customers are being overcharged | LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the editor:

The Bainbridge Review’s editor has, as usual, chosen to subvert the real story of the city of Bainbridge Island’s water utility in favor of sensationalism.

The important story is that our city’s water ratepayers are still being overcharged by at least 35 percent (even after last year’s 45 percent billing reduction). The city has stashed away a reserve in the water account of more than $5.7 million. That’s more than twice what’s needed for a reserve fund. Also, 40-plus city employees are charging time to the water system.

It’s obvious that city of Bainbridge Island water ratepayers (and possibly city sewer ratepayers as well) who comprise only 10 percent of the city population are subsidizing the all-island government enjoyed by the other 90 percent.

If the Review’s editor were really interested in informing readers about what our city government is doing, he would spend more time on following the money. Is this subject off-limits for some reason? Some good investigative reporting by the Review would be helpful in getting to the bottom of this scandal. It certainly would be more informative and helpful to the readers. Please, surprise me with an investigative story with hard facts.

BILL KNOBLOCH

Bainbridge Island

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 12 edition online now. Browse the archives.