Port district | Letters | March 18
March 17, 2011 · 3:25 PM
A bad idea unless it’s Waterfront Park centric Regarding the “Citizens put toes in ‘port’ water” story on Feb. 25: This sounded like a good idea until I read further. A Port of Bainbridge Island should be restricted to Winslow for specific purposes only at Waterfront Park:
- Repairing/upgrading the city visitor dock.
- Adding a fuel dock and upgrading the sewage pumpout station, provided they pay for themselves.
- Building and operating a boat yard and transient marina, provided they pay for themselves.
We do not need a port district to muck around in other things. The following are a set of gross over-reach and over-spending ideas:
- Installing a viewing platform and kayak launch at Strawberry Plant Park.
- A dock at Pritchard Park for a water taxi.
- Building a rowing dock. • Running the Day Road Industrial Park.
- Completing the waterfront trail.
- Building a public dock at Port Madison.
- Developing road ends.
These items should never be part of a Port of Bainbridge Island District. Funding for these schemes should be left to those who will use them: rowers, kayakers, private citizens, and not everybody else on Bainbridge Island.