Bainbridge Police Blotter | July 16

Bainbridge Police reported the following incidents:

July 5

10:53 a.m. A resident’s mailbox was damaged by a firework. The box needed to be replaced and the contents were destroyed.

The sides of the black mailbox were bowed out and detached from the bottom. Officers looked around the area for evidence of an explosive device but couldn’t find one.

They concluded that a large firecracker was the likely culprit, given the lack of evidence to support any sort of homemade explosive.

The woman told police she heard a loud explosion between 10-11 p.m. the previous night. She checked with her neighbor who also heard a blast prior to leaving for the downtown fireworks show at 10:30 p.m. that night.

The woman had no suspect information and said there were kids all over the neighborhood that night.

The cost of replacing the mailbox was $40.

July 6

11:41 a.m. A number of unauthorized charges were made to a resident’s checking account.

He told police he attempted to make a charge on his debit card, but it was denied. He said his account had the necessary funds to complete the transaction.

When the man returned home he looked up his checking account and learned that two unauthorized charges were made over the holiday weekend in Chicago. The charges were made at two food stores for $164.52 and $44.11. He didn’t authorize either of the charges. He hadn’t lost his card or authorized anyone to use his account.

Police have no suspects.

12:21 p.m. A resident left his debit card at a local restaurant and later found several fraudulent charges on the account.

On June 28, he left the card at a restaurant where he was eating lunch. He later checked his account online and discovered 10 charges of $275 each made at a Walmart in Florida.

The resident believed someone at the restaurant picked up his card and sold the number. When he called to check at the restaurant, an employee told him it was at the business.

The resident’s bank said it would refund the $2,750 and investigate the incident.

The resident said it was no coincidence that the fraud on his account occurred after he left the card. He believes an employee at the restaurant had something to do with it.

July 7

5:37 p.m. A woman reported an attempted scam on craigslist.

She responded to an advertisement in Seattle to work at an art gallery. She received a response by phone and email from a man who said he could use her help on a side project that involved cashing money orders.

A Bainbridge resident at the time, the woman was planning to move to Lake Forest Park and left that address. The man sent a package to that address containing an Albertsons’ Moneygram. He asked her to cash it and keep $400 for herself. He would give her further instructions once that was complete.

The woman became suspicious of the operation and notified police. She gave officers the money order and contact information for the man.

Police told her this is a popular scam happening all over the country and commended her for noticing and reporting it.

July 9

12:59 p.m. A man reported that he saw his daughter in her car with a man against whom she had a no-contact order.

The father believed they were heading to the man’s place of work on High School Road.

Police located the vehicle in the Safeway parking lot with the door open and the man inside. Police arrested him for violating the order against him.

He said he was aware of the order, which stipulated that he remain 500 feet from the woman at all times. He acknowledged that they had been in the car together, and she was inside a salon, approximately 300 feet away.

The woman told police she had been with the man since the previous evening. She wasn’t the one who took out the order; it was her father. She asked officers not to arrest the man, but they said it was required.

The man was booked into Kitsap County Jail for violation of a no contact order and given a criminal citation.

July 10

4:47 p.m. A small vessel did not yield right-of-way to a ferry and the boat’s the four occupants subsequently “mooned” the passengers and crew.

A WSF supervisor told police the boat had to perform an emergency stop to avoid hitting a 25-foot sailboat in Eagle Harbor. The sailboat veered in front of the ferry, ignoring the vessel’s emergency horns. The sailboat momentarily disappeared from view as it went under the bow of the ferry. As it came back into view the occupants of the sailboat, “dropped their pants and mooned the ferry.”

Ferry crew members said it was four white men in their 30s. The crew members surmised that the group had been drinking.

The sailboat was white with a blue strip and carried a small inflatable craft. No one could make out the boat’s registration numbers.

The incident was not reported until an hour after it happened. Police searched Eagle Harbor but found nothing matching the description. Police called the U.S. Coast Guard, but the officer on duty said he couldn’t respond but would assign an investigator to look into the matter if the boats and personnel were identified.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates