Overheated kiln flue caused Eagledale Park fire

A Bainbridge Fire Department investigation has concluded that an overheated pottery kiln flue caused the fire that destroyed an outbuilding at Eagledale Park on July 23.

Fire Marshal Jared Moravec said the blaze had been ruled accidental. The overheated flue pipe set fire to the wooden roof of the shelter that covers the kiln, he said.

The kiln, which is used to fire pottery for Bainbridge Island Metropolitan Park and Recreation District classes, had been heated to more than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

The fire occurred shortly after 3 p.m. and forced the evacuation of a nearby classroom. Fire crews quickly extinguished the flames and no injuries were reported.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates