Bainbridge Police Blotter | FYI, Jan. 09

Bainbridge Police reported the following incidents:


12:27 a.m. An apparently intoxicated Poulsbo driver motoring westbound on High School Road rolled over a portion of the traffic roundabout and collided with a totem pole sculpture on the corner. The man drove away despite a flat tire and heavy body damage to the vehicle. The suspect later returned to the scene of the collision. He was arrested for negligent driving and hit and run.


6 a.m. A Kingston driver lost control of her Ford Explorer on an icy section of Fletcher Bay Road near High School Road. The vehicle veered across the roadway, rolled once and came to rest on the far shoulder. The woman said she had been traveling at 35 mph when the vehicle began to fishtail. She was cited for driving too fast for conditions. She suffered injuries to her hip and shoulder.

3:39 p.m. A buoy was reported missing from the waters off a home on Springridge Road. The resident said the buoy was three feet in diameter and held in place by a 15-foot chain attached to a large anchor block. The man was not sure whether the mooring rig had sunk or was taken along with the buoy. The total loss was estimated at $700.


4:41 p.m. A Bainbridge woman called police after a suspicious person harassed her and her daughters in Safeway. The woman said she had placed her daughters in a shopping cart and was shopping when the man approached. She said he asked how much her children were “per pound.” She replied “a million dollars” and moved on. The man continued to follow her as she shopped and tried to engage her in conversation. She ignored the man and began talking to the children. The woman said she heard him ask one of the daughters if the woman was married. He continued to talk to her children as she shopped. The woman said she had been focused on her shopping at the time but later decided to report the man’s suspicious behavior. The case was recorded.

5:50 p.m. A Dodge Van traveling north on Miller Road veered right and struck a BMW stopped at a stop sign at the intersection with Koura Road. The driver of the Dodge, a Bainbridge man, said he thought the roadway curved and did not see the BMW. He was cited for inattention. No injuries were reported.

8:54 a.m. A Helmsman Court resident reported the theft of a battery from his boat. He said he had taken the cover off his boat that day and noticed the battery case empty. The theft occurred sometime in the previous two weeks, the resident said. No suspects.


11:47 a.m. Street signs in the area of Weaver Road and Wyatt Way were relocated to a ditch in an apparent case of malicious mischief. The signs included two stop signs, a speed limit signs and a caution sign. A responding officer attempted to reinstall the signs but found the post holes would not support them. A public works employee was called in to assist. No suspects.

2:35 p.m. The owner of a home under construction on Lovgren Road found the house’s door ajar, lights on and mail scattered across the floor. The woman said she had turned off the lights and secured the door when she left the site the night before. The mail belonged to two nearby residents. Both were contacted by police. The mail was placed into evidence. No suspects were identified in the apparent trespass and theft.

12:59 p.m. A vehicle abandoned on Day Road was impounded. The vehicle had left by its driver after it was involved in two traffic collisions on Dec. 29. The driver had been given notice to remove the vehicle within 24 hours.


12:50 p.m. An iPod and sunglasses were reported stolen from a Ford Flex parked at a Bainbridge residence. The vehicle’s owner believed he may have accidently unlocked the vehicle by activating its keyless entry remote in his pocket. The items were valued at $250. No suspects.


2:11 a.m. A Jeep Cherokee was stopped on SR-305 after an officer noted its license plate light was nonfunctional and its exhaust system sounded too loud to be stock. A records check showed the driver’s license was suspended. He was cited. The passenger had a valid license and was allowed to drive the vehicle away.

3:54 p.m. A Moran Road resident reported that someone had rolled his vehicle 60 feet down his driveway overnight in an apparent theft attempt. The man said he had moved the car the day before because a tree had fallen on his driveway. The vehicle was left unlocked. The next day he found the car had been rolled down the driveway and off to the side where it had apparently gotten stuck. He suspected the culprits had not wanted to start the vehicle for fear of being heard. The keys to the car were missing. No suspects.


7:40 a.m. Police impounded a vehicle that had been abandoned on Miller Road north of Battle Point Drive during a snow storm. The vehicle was causing traffic to divert across the centerline. Authorities had been unable to contact the vehicle’s registered owner.

1:16 p.m. A Bremerton resident reported losing a wallet in a Bainbridge theater on Jan. 1. The theater said the wallet had not been turned in. It contained $20 and various credit cards. The case was recorded.

4:59 p.m. A Bainbridge woman contacted police after she discovered her credit card had been fraudulently used to purchase tickets to a Los Angeles Lakers basketball game. The $832 purchase had been made through Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster acknowledged the charges as fraudulent. The woman cancelled the card.

4:50 p.m. A Eaglecliff Road resident reported that a delivered package had been stolen from his doorstep. The delivery service confirmed the package had arrived that day but the resident never saw it. He said he had been gone from his home for most of the morning. The package contained eye glasses valued at $300. No suspects.


10:47 a.m. A Parfitt Way resident submitted a written complaint regarding excessive noise from businesses on Parfitt Way. The man said the noise had been disturbing his sleep. Police advised the man to contact city code enforcement and call 911 if he continued hearing excessive noise from the businesses.

12:59 p.m. A Bainbridge woman received a medical bill addressed to her home but bearing someone else’s name. The woman contacted the medical provider and advised it of the mistake. No apparent fraud was involved. The case was recorded.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Sep 23
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates