Bainbridge Police Blotter | FYI, Dec. 6

Police Blotter

Bainbridge Police reported the following incidents:


3:57 a.m. Police responded to an alarm activation at a Bucklin Hill Road school library. Upon arrival a broken window was found at the entrance to the library. A door to a main school building was also found ajar. Nothing appeared to be missing from inside. Damage to the window was estimated at $900.

9:09 a.m. Suspects cut the lock from a utility trailer parked near maintenance buildings at Bainbridge High School and made off with a commercial push blower and four gallons of paint. The words “Bainbridge rules” were found spray painted on the side of the trailer. The owner of the trailer, an Idaho subcontractor, said the missing blower was a “Billygoat” brand valued at $900. The four gallons of white paint were valued at $80. Police were unable to examine the trailer, as the subcontractor had already towed it back to Idaho. No suspects.

3:35 p.m. A man remodeling a Winslow Way business severed two of his fingers on a table saw. He was transported to Harborview Medical Center.


8:14 a.m. A Rolling Bay Walk resident found a dinghy tied to his dock that had not been there the previous evening. An officer was later informed that a dinghy with a description matching the found one had been reported stolen from Manchester. Its owner was contacted. No suspects.


2:28 p.m. A Bainbridge man reported that a dog had bitten his daughter at the Sportsmen’s Club. The man said his family had been eating dinner in the club. When he walked onto the porch with his daughter they brushed by a dog, which reached up and bit the child below her eye, leaving a small cut. The dog’s owner, an Eagle Harbor liveaboard, had been inside during the incident. He said the dog had never bit anyone before. A report was forwarded to county Animal Control. The man was instructed to quarantine the dog on his boat.


10:56 p.m. An officer parked off Fletcher Bay Road observed a Ford Expedition stop near Jiffy Mart. A passenger got out, picked up an orange traffic cone and placed it in the vehicle. The Ford drove away on New Brooklyn Road with the officer following. The officer stopped the vehicle on New Brooklyn. Using a flashlight the officer could see several orange traffic cones in the back of the vehicle as well as another male laying on the floor. Several young men were contacted inside the vehicle. At first they denied any knowledge of the brazen cone theft the officer had witnessed, but eventually the passenger admitted to taking the cone. The officer removed four cones and a city traffic barricade from the vehicle. The passenger said one cone had been taken from Point White, the barricade had come from somewhere at the south end of the island and two cones had been picked up at a parking lot in Issaquah. The suspects were released to their parents. Police were contacting victims of the thefts before recommending charges.


3:10 p.m. An officer responded to a rear-end collision on Just A Meer lane. As the officer documented the scene, one of the drivers involved in the collision began hurriedly removing items her vehicle. The officer approached and the woman, who smelled of alcohol and was moving unsteadily. The officer walked the woman to a nearby driveway and asked her how much alcohol she had drunk. The woman at first denied drinking, then said,“I had a bottle... a glass of wine.” She performed erratically on field sobriety tests and was arrested for driving under the influence.

1:06 a.m. An officer observed a group of possibly intoxicated young adults purchase beer at Safeway. A second officer followed the group as it left the store parking lot in two vehicles. The officer followed one of the vehicles until one turned into a driveway on Weaver Way. The officer found the vehicle parked outside a vacant residence. Its driver was contacted. The driver said he didn’t live at the house, but was waiting for a friend. He smelled of alcohol and admitted to having drunk three beers. The driver agreed to voluntary sobriety tests, which he performed poorly on. He was arrested for physical control of a vehicle while intoxicated. During booking at the driver was asked how long it had been since his last drink. “One hour before I started drinking,” he said. At first the man did not blow properly into a blood alcohol test and said it was because he had once had a collapsed lung. He was booked into jail on $2,500 bail.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates