- About Us
The Year in Review, 13 for 2013: The most read stories of 2013
Readership continued to grow at the Bainbridge Island Review’s website, bainbridgereview.com, in 2013. The number of visitors to the best news site that covers the island jumped 63 percent in 2013, and online readers tallied a total of more than 1.7 million page views.
Here’s the recap of what stories pulled in the most online readers.
1. Man charged of burglary after harassing Bainbridge Island woman (Dec. 6)
A Coast Guard master chief has been charged with residential burglary after allegedly harassing a Bainbridge Island woman over a 10-month-long period.
2. Exit polls of Bainbridge voters show I-522 is top draw at ballot box (Nov. 5)
Reporters from the Review interviewed Bainbridge voters who were dropping off their ballots at the election drop box outside the Madison Avenue fire station during three shifts on Monday, Nov. 4 and Tuesday, Nov. 5. More than 30 voters stopped to talk about what was bringing them to the polls, and roughly a quarter of those questioned by the Review said Initiative 522 — the proposal to require advisory labels on genetically engineered food — was the most important item on the November ballot.
3. Driver in highway crash arrested for DUI (Dec. 16)
One of the drivers in the traffic-snarling two-car crash at the Agate Pass Bridge has been arrested for driving under the influence. Andrew Page Smith, 32, of Poulsbo was arrested for DUI and booked into the Kitsap County Jail.
4. Search crew finds man who went overboard from ferry (Sept. 10)
A search-and-rescue crew from the Coast Guard has found the man who went overboard from the ferry M/V Wenatchee during the vessel’s sailing to Bainbridge Island.
5. Man taken into custody after standoff returns to Bainbridge High (Nov. 4)
The man who was taken into custody after a 90-minute standoff with police outside of Bainbridge High after he had made threatening remarks against the school and a student has been seen near the school several times since his release by mental health authorities.
6. Two injured in car crash airlifted from Bainbridge Island (March 4)
Two people who were hurt in a two-car crash near the Agate Pass Bridge were airlifted from the Bainbridge Island Fire Department’s station on Madison Avenue.
7. Doc’s manager arrested for voyeurism allegedly confessed to mother in jailhouse phone call (Sept. 26)
The manager at Doc’s Marina Grill who was arrested for allegedly hiding a cell phone camera in a restroom at the popular Bainbridge Island restaurant to video other employees using the bathroom apparently confessed his guilt to his mother during a jailhouse phone call.
8. Highway 305 accident near casino leaves traffic mess (Dec. 16)
A multiple-car accident near the Clearwater Casino on Highway 305 resulted in a traffic nightmare for commuters heading north on Bainbridge Island across Agate Pass Bridge.
9. Bainbridge police await coroner’s report on suspicious death (Sept. 15)
The body of a person at the center of this weekend’s “suspicious death” investigation on Bainbridge Island was turned over to the Kitsap County coroner.
10. Marijuana grow operation busted on Bainbridge Island (Jan. 23)
Two men have been arrested for growing marijuana on Bainbridge Island after a large-scale pot farm was discovered.
11. Bainbridge police investigate suspicious death (Sept. 14)
The Bainbridge Island Police Department was called out to North Madison Avenue in response to a suspicious death.
12. High drama on Puget Sound: Woman rescued after jumping off Bainbridge ferry (Sept. 13)
An unidentified woman was rescued by the Coast Guard after she reportedly jumped off the ferry to Bainbridge Island as the vessel was nearing Eagle Harbor.
13. Bainbridge police arrest alleged high school cocaine dealer (March 13)
Bainbridge Island police arrested a suspected high school cocaine dealer last week as a side effect of surveilling a suspect in a different case.