- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
South island house fire started by melted electrical cord
An extension cord is being blamed for a fire Monday afternoon at a south Bainbridge Island home.
A fire ignited in the home after a wood-burning stove blew hot air over an extension chord placed on the floor nearby.
"A renter came home and found part of the house full of smoke and she called 911," said Bainbridge Island Fire Department Assistant Chief Luke Carpenter.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Seven firefighters responded to the call on Beans Bight Road just after 4:30 p.m. and a fire was found in the floor near the wood-burning stove.
An extension cord had been set up at the foot of the stove underneath a rug, Carpenter said.
Just above the rug, the stove ventilated warm air.
The cord eventually melted underneath the rug and the wood floor caught fire.
The wall socket connected to the cord also overheated and ignited another small fire.
The house sustained extensive smoke damage and the floor near the wood-burning stove was burnt through in several spots.
"The thing here was the use of extension cords," Carpenter said.
Carpenter reminded residents that extension cords should not be used as a permanent setup nor should they be placed underneath rugs or carpets.