Stevenson granted diversion to receive medical treatment

The man involved in a 90-minute standoff on Halloween outside Bainbridge High was granted a diversion agreement by the Bainbridge Island Municipal Court judge Monday.

Stevenson first came into contact with Bainbridge police after he refused to leave the high school parking lot and displayed a Swiss Army pocket knife.

The same day, students reported to school administration that Stevenson had made friend requests to students and posted potentially threatening messages on Facebook.

He was later arrested for violating anti-harassment and no trespass orders involving the school and a current student.

On Monday, Nov. 18, Municipal Court Judge Kathy Carruthers granted an agreement between the city and Stevenson's family to transport him to a mental treatment facility in California.

Stevenson arrived to the court hearing in a green jail uniform and handcuffed to a chain restraint belt around his waist. His family was present through the 20-minute session.

"Mr. Stevenson is fortunate to have parents that have been working hard for him, and what they arranged as a possibility is there is a pretty intensive mental health treatment program in California that they have set Mr. Stevenson up for," said Philip Bacus, the county's deputy prosecuting attorney.

The diversion agreement requires Stevenson to be treated for up to three years at the facility in California, and he will be transported there Monday evening.

The treatment program usually lasts from one to two years but can last up to three years.

According to Bacus, the facility has already set up a program for Stevenson and the staff will complete an initial evaluation to see what level medication treatment he needs after he arrives.

Once the treatment program has been completed, the charge will be dismissed.

If he does not comply with the terms of the diversion agreement, however, he will be convicted without trial.

That point was underscored during the short hearing Monday.

"It's a pretty significant commitment that you're making here," Carruthers said.

"That's a big step for you to take, isn't it?" the judge asked.

Stevenson responded, "No, I've been progressively getting to this point for the last seven or eight years, so now it's just the next step."

Bacus explained that Stevenson's willingness to agree to such a level of treatment encouraged the city to offer it.

"It's clearly that mental health is at the root of all of these cases, and this will hopefully address these issues," Bacus said.

The city also requested that the anti-harassment, no-contact order involving a 17-year-old student at the high school remain in place.

In the hearing, Stevenson asked to make a comment about the order.

"I need to say this because nobody has listened to me when I say this," Stevenson said.

"I have no idea who this girl is. I don't know her name. I know she's 17 years old. I don't know where she lives. I know she attends BHS. I don't know her face. I've never seen her face," he said.

"I know absolutely nothing about her. She's a complete stranger to me. I have no interest in contacting her," Stevenson said.

Carruthers responded that it sounded like he may not be aware of why the order was issued in the first place, but regardless, he cannot contact her even if it is to apologize.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates