Bainbridge police arrest man involved in last week's standoff at Bainbridge High

The man who was detained last week after a 90-minute standoff with police outside Bainbridge High School was arrested Wednesday afternoon by Bainbridge Police.

Bainbridge Police Chief Matthew Hamner said the man was arrested outside the Subway sandwich shop on High School Road about 2 p.m. Nov. 6.

"The subject is in our custody and is being investigated and is going to be arrested for charges for conduct related to a particular individual at the high school," Hamner said.

Hamner did not identify the man in custody or the victim, although the man's name is widely known in the community following multiple Facebook posts he made following the standoff outside Bainbridge High on Oct. 31.

Hamner said more detail on potential charges would be available later.

The Review is not naming the man in custody; the newspaper typically only identifies persons who have been arrested, booked into jail or charged with a crime.

The man is a former BHS student, according to school district officials.

He was first taken into custody last week after he made threatening remarks on Facebook.

Last week's standoff with police at BHS started after a student told school staff that a car was parked in an assigned space in the senior parking lot near the school's tennis courts.

A campus security officer approached the car, and after the man inside the vehicle refused to move and displayed a Swiss Army pocket knife, school staff called 911.

Bainbridge police responded, and the man in the car was taken into custody peacefully after about 90 minutes.

He was later evaluated by Kitsap Mental Health and released.

Bainbridge police have received multiple reports about the man since last week, near Bainbridge High and elsewhere in the community, and those continued this week.

Hamner said he approached the man Wednesday afternoon and established a rapport with him. Two other officers then responded and the man was taken into custody.

The man is currently being held at the Bainbridge police department.

Hamner said police arrested the man when there was sufficient evidence that a crime had been committed.

"The only reason he wasn't arrested prior to today — we did not have enough facts to justify an arrest. We have to make an arrest on probable cause of a crime. We did not have that until today," the chief said.

"There were many, many people on the island very concerned about this situation. It is my duty to ensure the safety of this island and that's why we have taken the action we have," he added.

"At this point it has ended peacefully and he is in custody," Hamner said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates