Bainbridge blotter | Friend overdoses on heroin

    - Bainbridge Island Review photo
— image credit: Bainbridge Island Review photo

Selected reports from the Bainbridge Island Police Department blotter.

Friday, Oct. 11

10:19 a.m. A woman reported her husband embezzled $171,000 and then attempted to kill himself. He did not succeed in committing suicide, and his wife told officers she wanted him prosecuted for theft. The woman informed officers that her mother lived with them to share costs.

At her husband’s advice, they set up a trust for her mother’s assets. Her husband wrote the agreement and set himself as the trustee. However, he eventually invested all of the trust money into his publishing business and lost it. He finally came clean via a Skype message to his wife and told her he was not coming back.

Police had him tracked and found him with a box cutter, a hose and a roll of duct tape. Later the husband contacted police and explained that he had been out of work for two years before he took over the publishing business. He said that he had no intent on using the money, but he needed to pay his employees and invest prior to the company turning a profit.

When he realized he could not face his wife that the money was gone and the company had not made a large enough profit to pay it back, he took steps to suicide.

Saturday, Oct. 12

12:34 a.m. An island resident called 911 after she noticed signs of an overdose in her friend. The resident told officers her friend had been helping her pack her apartment all day, but just a couple hours before she called 911, he became overcome with sickness and was swinging in and out of consciousness.

She also told officers she found a hypodermic syringe with a needle. Police asked her friend what he had taken and he said “three points” of heroin. One point is typically one-tenth of a gram. He was taken to Harrison Medical Center.

Tuesday, Oct. 15

9:26 a.m. A boat owner called police after noticing his boat that had been moored off the shore of Crystal Springs Drive had gone missing.

The owner told police that he was on his way to the bus stop when he realized he didn’t see his boat attached to his buoy. The owner spoke to police on his cell phone as he searched the area in his kayak. He said that he had looked at the rope that was previously securing the boat to the buoy, and it appeared that it had worn through and broke.

A couple hours later, the owner called police again to notify them the boat had been located in the middle of the channel between Crystal Springs and the Fletcher Bay area. However, his boat motor, fuel tank and battery were missing.

He had to tow the boat back to his buoy. The cost of the missing items totaled $3,065.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates