- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Bainbridge Island home damaged after chimney fire
The Bainbridge Island Fire Department responded to the second chimney fire of the season Thursday night.
At around 10 p.m. Oct. 31, firefighters were alerted of a fire at a single-family home on Ellingsen Road.
Assistant Chief Luke Carpenter of the Bainbridge Island Fire Department said that the roof of the house ignited after the metal chimney became too hot.
Firefighters extinguished the fire, then cut out the affected portion of the roof using a chainsaw.
"We do that basically to make sure the fire doesn't extend or reignite later in the night," Carpenter said.
Carpenter explained that the fire was discovered when the couple living at the home saw smoke rising from their roof.
Eighteen firefighters responded and no one was injured in the incident.
They left the area at around 11:30 p.m. after covering the cut-out segment of the roof with plastic.
"It's that season where it's colder out and we're using our chimneys more and more," Carpenter said.
A similar incident occurred on Oct. 21 at a residence on Old Mill Road.
Carpenter reminded residents to clean their chimneys and have them inspected on a regular basis.