- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Bainbridge home damaged by chimney fire
A single-family home on Old Mill Road was damaged after a chimney fire Sunday night.
Bainbridge Island Fire Department Chief Hank Teran said the fire was reported by the residents of the home shortly after 7 p.m. Oct. 20. They called 911 and got out of the house, he said.
Teran said 15 firefighters from Bainbridge and North Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded to the call.
"The fire was fought from both the interior and the exterior," Teran said.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Assistant Chief Luke Carpenter said four engines, three tenders and a medic unit responded to the fire at 5790 Old Mill Road.
The fire was contained to the attic and the roof.
"It took them about 30 minutes to get the fire under control," Carpenter said.
Fire crews were at the scene for about three hours making sure the blaze had been extinguished.
A damage estimate was not available, Teran said.
Teran also said the couple stayed at a neighbor's house for the night.
Bainbridge firefighters were alerted to another fire report while they were still on Old Mill Road.
A man on Crystal Springs called 911 after using a mole smoke bomb to kill some rats. The substance then caught some shingles on fire, but the man put out the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived.
Bainbridge fire officials are reminding residents to make sure wood stoves and fireplaces are properly maintained before using them during the cold months ahead.
"Now is the time of the year when people start using their fireplaces and wood stoves again, so it's real important to get your chimneys cleaned. It helps prevent chimney fires," Carpenter said.