Bainbridge home badly damaged in fire; investigation continues

A two-alarm fire destroyed the top floor of a three-story north Bainbridge Island home late Thursday evening.

No one was hurt in the fire or the hours-long fight to put out the blaze.

Bainbridge Island Fire Chief Hank Teran said neighbors to the property on Hidden Cove Road reported the fire just after 6 p.m. July 11, and residents on the other side of the cove also saw the fire as it raced through the top floor of the home.

"Neighbors could see large billows of black smoke. We also received calls from the other side of water; people could see flames coming from the home," Teran said.

Firefighters found heavy smoke and flames coming from the upper floors of the home when they arrived. They quickly called for backup.

"Due to the size of the fire, we requested a second alarm," Teran said.

Firefighters from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue and the Poulsbo Fire Department responded to help battle the blaze.

At one point, five fire engines and five water tenders were at the scene, along with other rigs and roughly 30 personnel.

Hidden Cove Road was also closed to traffic while emergency responders fought the fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire, and Bainbridge Island firefighters speedily removed a dog that was left on a leash from his dangerous perch on the patio beneath the growing blaze.

He was glad to go.

"Between the fire department being there and the flames being two stories above ... he was more than happy to get out of the area," Teran said.

With the tenders in place, there was no trouble getting water to the fire. The gas line to the home was also shut down, and a Puget Sound Energy crew turned off the power to the house, Teran said.

The residents returned while firefighters were still extinguishing the blaze. Teran said neighbors offered to give them a place to stay, as the home was uninhabitable.

Firefighters stayed at the scene overnight to guard against flare-ups.

Investigators met at 8 a.m. Friday to start their investigation.

Teran said it was too soon to say where the fire originated or what might have been the cause.

Bainbridge Fire Marshal Luke Carpenter agreed.

"They are starting to hone in on things, but it's too soon to say anything," Carpenter said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates