Police make more arrests in Bainbridge police vandalism case | UPDATED

The investigation continues into the June 11 vandalism of eight Bainbridge Police vehicles at the Winslow Way station. - Tad Sooter/Staff Photo
The investigation continues into the June 11 vandalism of eight Bainbridge Police vehicles at the Winslow Way station.
— image credit: Tad Sooter/Staff Photo

Felony charges were filed this week against a second Bainbridge High School graduate suspected of vandalizing Bainbridge Police vehicles June 11.

Bainbridge Police arrested 18-year-old Colin Bruce Bowman at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, and he was booked into Kitsap County Jail the same day.

Bowman was arraigned Thursday in Kitsap Superior Court and pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree malicious mischief. Judge Sally F. Olsen released Bowman on personal recognizance following the hearing.

Police made an initial arrest in the vandalism case on June 13, placing 18-year-old Samuel Bice in custody at Bainbridge High School. Bice pleaded not guilty Monday to three counts of first-degree malicious mischief in Kitsap Superior Court, and was released on recognizance.

Bice and Bowman are scheduled to return to court for an Aug. 13 hearing, and a trial date is set for Sept. 8. Each first-degree malicious mischief charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine; prosecutors also plan to seek restitution for the damaged police vehicles.

Police are still investigating the incident, which took place between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. on June 11 at the station on Winslow Way. Vandals dumped and sprayed paint on eight parked Bainbridge Police on and slashed the tires of five. A car driven by Police Chief Matt Haney also was vandalized at his island home.

According to court documents, officers investigating the scene followed a trail of footprints left by suspects who stepped in paint, to a parking lot across the street from the station. There they found the lid from a paint can, which led them to a Peninsula Paint store. Store employees informed officers that the paint was purchased with a credit card belonging to Bice's mother in November 2007. Subsequent evidence gathered in the execution of three search warrants led to the arrest of Bice.

According to a probable cause statement filed in Bowman's arraignment, police were told that Bowman wanted to turn himself in following the execution of the search warrants. Bowman met with police at his attorney's office, and, according to the statement, Bowman admitted to officers that he and Bice had painted police vehicles at the station and at Haney's residence, and said Bice had slashed the tires of the vehicles.

Bowman told officers he had discarded his paint-stained clothing in a dumpster in Suquamish and the clothes, including a pair of shoes with tread that matched prints found at the crime scene, were later recovered by police, the statement said.

Bowman's attorney was unavailable for comment Friday.

A 17-year-old was also arrested at 9:30 a.m. Thursday. Duncan said the boy was booked on a drug-related charge, based on evidence uncovered in the investigation into the vandalism. The boy was transported to a juvenile detention facility and later released to his parents, Duncan said.

When asked if more arrests were forthcoming in the vandalism case, Duncan said: "We're still continuing the investigation. It's not over."

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates