- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Bainbridge Island Historical Museum welcomes new board officers
The Bainbridge Island Historical Museum recently announced 2013 officers of the museum’s board of directors.
Karen Wilson was elected to replace retiring president Dan Fowler and Tom Thatcher was elected vice president. Barbara Anderson will continue as treasurer and David Thorne as secretary.
Kathy Daugherty and Becky Mitchell were reelected to a new three-year term on the museum board.
At the historical museum’s annual meeting in February, executive director Hank Helm began his report with “We have had a really wonderful year!”
The numbers back him up. In 2012, the museum set a new record with 10,522 visitors. They came from every state and 42 foreign countries.
And with new expanded hours (10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily) the museum hosted an increased number of tours, programs and events. Many local classrooms were treated to specially-tailored curriculum led by an enthusiastic team of teacher-docents.
Donated items reached an all-time high this past year with nearly 800 objects and photos added to the museum collection.
The Washington Museum Association presented the museum and curator Rick Chandler with two Awards of Merit. Honored were “It’s About Time,” a history timeline along the south exterior wall of the museum, and “Once Upon a Time-History Day Camp” headed by Education and Outreach Coordinator, Katy Curtis, and volunteer Carol McCarthy.
The museum also received an Award of Merit for “Excellence In Preserving the History of Bainbridge Island,” one of only five awarded nationally by the American Association for State and Local History.
“An Island Story,” housed in the 1908 school house portion of the museum, continues to fascinate visitors as does the temporary exhibits currently on display including “Ansel Adams, A Portrait of Manzanar,” “Overland Westerners” and exhibits on Yama, orca whales, early Croatian fisherman and the story of the creosote plant displayed on the museum grounds.