- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Sprinklers save condo units -- News Roundup
A Winslow condominium unit was damaged in a fire Friday evening, a blaze that would have been worse but for a sprinkler system, fire officials say.
Crews responded at 5:20 p.m. Nov. 21 to a report of a residential blaze at the Chatham Cove condominium on Weaver Road.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke in the condominium unit and the fire sprinkler system activated in the kitchen.
The stovetop fire had been extinguished by the residential fire sprinkler system. Firefighters shut down the sprinklers, protected personal belongings with tarps and removed water from the unit.
There were no reported injuries to citizens or firefighters.
The kitchen and furnishings sustained approximately $1,500 in damage. Cause of the fire was cooking oil that overheated on the stovetop burner.
The resident was out of the room, and the blaze would have spread to the cabinets, Fire Chief Jim Walkowski said.
Without question the fire sprinkler system saved the condominium unit and potentially the whole cluster of eight units, Walkowski said in a release. Fire protection sprinkler systems are an integral part of the life safety emphasis that the department requires to be installed within multi-family dwelling units such Chatham Cove.
***Rescue after shoreline fall
A woman hurt in a fall on the Crystal Springs shoreline had to be rescued by police boat Friday morning.
Aid crews were summoned at about 9:50 a.m. Nov. 21 to the scene, well away from the road, to find the woman had fallen from a narrow trail onto the beach below.
She was treated for possible back and head injuries at the scene.
Crews considered carrying her to another residence down the beach, but would have had to cut their way through numerous fallen trees; the trail itself was too steep to carry her back to the medic unit.
The Bainbridge Police boat was summoned, and reached the scene about 20 minutes later. The woman was taken aboard that vessel to the Seattle Fire Department station near the ferry terminal, where she was moved to an ambulance for transport to the hospital.
***Downtown kicks off Xmas
The Bainbridge Island Downtown Association rings in the holiday this Friday with the first of several seasonal events.
Join the fun 2-6 p.m. Nov. 28 as Santa and his elves stroll downtown, music streams from the gazebo and Winslow Mall, and families follow up a hay ride with some hot cocoa at the Bainbridge Downtown booth in front of American Marine Bank.
Downtown will be dressed and decorated, retail stores will be open for shopping and local restaurants will be ready to start celebrating the seasons good cheer.
Next Friday, Dec. 5, sees the town square filled with good cheer at the community tree lighting, co-sponsored by the city and Bainbridge Downtown.
Santa and his elves arrive by fire truck at 5 p.m. to light the community tree with Mayor Darlene Kordonowy. The Bainbridge Chorale and the BHS band lead a holiday carol singalong, 5-6 p.m., followed by a reception in City Hall with hot cider and cookies.
Finish the evening with a hay ride downtown after the tree lighting. Information: 842-2982.