Two injured in bakery propane blast

"Two kitchen workers were injured in a Thursday morning propane blast at the Blackbird Bakery, hours after a north-end home was blackened in a fire. The explosion, blamed on a propane-fired oven in the Winslow Way bakery, blew off a door on the side of the building and sent shards of glass from the storefront's large windows flying onto Winslow Way. Two Blackbird employees were preparing the morning's pastries in the bakery's kitchen when the explosion occurred.They have sustained some injuries, said Kirk Stickels, Bainbridge Fire Department chief, but they are definitely very, very fortunate that they were not seriously injured or even killed.Fire crews arrived on the scene at about 5 a.m., and paramedics administered care to one baker for minor flash burns on her face and arms.A co-worker was transported to Harborview Medical Center, where she was treated for a broken foot. She remained in the hospital Friday in stable condition, Blackbird owner Jeff Shepard said. Names of the injured were not immediately available.Inside the bakery, the blast dislodged shelving and blew tools and equipment across the kitchen.It also lifted the roof slightly off its steel support columns, and shifted walls shared by the bakery and two neighboring shops, the Something I Need gift store and a former health-food storefront now being remodeled for a business called Churchmouse Yarns and Teas.Damage to the Churchmouse space was minimal, city building official Larry Skinner said.The bakery and gift store sustained more extensive damage and were listed unsafe to occupy Thursday, pending structural repairs.It's an unfortunate event, Skinner said, and we'll try to get the stores back in business as soon as possible.Reverbrations from the explosion knocked much of the gift store's merchandise to the floor. Broken glass from shelves and crystal was still strewn across the carpet Friday, as workers cleaned up the mess.There was no fire damage to the bakery or other buildings, Stickels said, because the force of the blast blew out the flame that had caused the explosion. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they shut off the propane gas in the building and blocked off a section of Winslow Way, which was strewn with debris.The glass was blown well out into the street, Stickels said. In fact, we used the city street sweeper to clean up Winslow Way this morning.By Thursday afternoon, the cafe's windows were covered with plywood. Workers spent much of the day cleaning up, and spoke to an insurance adjuster that afternoon.We've had a tremendous outpouring of support from everybody, from customers to fellow merchants, Shepard said, ...and we will be back.Fire blackens homeHours before the bakery incident, a Hidden Cove home sustained extensive damage in a midnight blaze.The fire was reported at 11:39 p.m. Wednesday, at the residence of David Hand, 7169 Hidden Cove Road. Nine units from three fire stations responded to the call, with 30 firefighters suppressing the blaze relatively quickly.We had plenty of manpower, plenty of water, and plenty of equipment, Stickels said. The fire was confined significantly to a relatively small part of the place.The flames, which originated in the basement, were first noticed by the family dog, which awakened one of the home's two occupants, Stickels said. The residents called 911, then left the house after attempting unsuccessfully to fight the fire themselves.Flames did spread from the basement up one side of the house, setting part of the roof and attic alight. The fire damaged 35 percent of the structure and 70 percent of the contents, fire officials said, causing approximately $80,000 dollars in damage.Thursday morning, the house looked normal from a nearby gravel drive, its colorful flower garden in full bloom. Only the strong smell of smoke told of the previous night's blaze.But inside, rafters spliced a gaping hole in the ceiling and soot covered furniture and flooring. Insurance agents inspected the site to assess the damage, as the owner prepared to take his dog to the veterinarian for treatment of smoke inhalation.Two cats trapped in the house died in the blaze, and another was missing Thursday.Fire and insurance officials are investigating the cause of the blaze, which is believed to be accidental.(This type of fire) was what we would typically see in a single-family residence, Stickels said. "

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates