- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Fire destroys Bainbridge Island garage
An early morning fire destroyed a garage on Bainbridge Island Monday, but a quick response by island firefighters stopped the flames from claiming the adjacent home.
No one was hurt in the blaze.
"The fire was largely confined to the garage area, but the home suffered extensive smoke damage," said Fire Marshal Luke Carpenter.
Island fire crews responded to a home on Meadowlark Lane at 3:06 a.m. Monday after a couple woke up to the sound of a blaring smoke alarm.
"They opened their bedroom door, saw smoke, then got outside and called 911," Carpenter said.
Flames were spreading to an attic space above the attached garage when fire crews arrived on the scene.
Firefighters were able to knock the fire down within 15 minutes, but remained at the home for another two hours to make sure it stayed out.
A Ford sedan parked in the garage was a total loss. The car's exterior was charred and melted from the heat.
Because the fire was burning from the top of the garage, fuel in the gas tank did not ignite.
It didn't take long for inspectors to find the cause of the blaze. The fire was electrical and could have been caused by faulty wiring.
Carpenter, however, said that battery chargers, common to power tools, were likely the source of the fire.
"Sometimes with battery chargers, after a while, can get hot and as they get older they can malfunction," Carpenter said. "It's not always a good idea to leave battery chargers plugged in all the time."
As the chargers overheated, they sparked the fire, he said, which spread to the rest of the garage.