News

Blaze damages retirement center

An accidental blaze displaced six residents of the Madison Avenue Retirement Center late Monday evening.

Fire crews responded to an alarm at the 53-unit center at 10:59 p.m. to find residents evacuating the building.

A single fire sprinkler extinguished an accidental blaze in a room on the fourth floor, fire officials said. No other details were given.

Six residents were displaced because of fire and water damage, and were given other lodging until their units are repaired.

Fire Chief Hank Teran credited the sprinkler system with preventing the fire's spread to other parts of the facility.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.