Bainbridge blotter | iPhone snatch and dash

Selected reports from the Bainbridge Island Police Department blotter.

Saturday, July 21

8:14 p.m. A man stole an iPhone from a taxi driver on Madison Avenue and Highway 305.

The taxi picked up the fare at the ferry terminal, who requested to be dropped off at the intersection where the theft occurred. The man paid $7 fare before grabbing the driver's iPhone, ripping it from its charger. The thief ran off and the driver followed him in his taxi. The man ducked into a driveway where the driver lost him.

The driver described the man as in his late teens or early 20s with short black hair. He was approximately 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-10 and weighed between 125 to 150 pounds.

The driver said the man was either drunk or high on drugs.

Police checked the area, but could not locate the thief.

Sunday, July 22

3:23 p.m. Police responded to a call on Bergman Road where the ex-owners of a foreclosed property were reportedly vandalizing the home. The incident was reported by the current owner in California, who was in turn informed by his real estate agent.

Police arrived to find the former owner, a woman, in the driveway with some potted plants and a sign that said "for sale."

The woman told police that she had lived in the home for 17 years. She spent a lot of time restoring it and wouldn't do anything to damage it. She said her last day in the home was legally Aug. 2 and she held an estate sale over the weekend.

When police walked through the home, they found it well-kept and undamaged. The only thing missing was a range. The woman said that she had paperwork for the range and it was not included in the selling price of the home. She had it removed when the home went up for sale.

Police called the new owner in California and reported that the home appeared to be undamaged. Police informed the owner that they had known the former owner for several years and believe it unlikely that she would damage the home. The new owner then became unreasonable and attacked the character of the woman. He insisted that she stole the range as well as wood carvings that were in the home.

The woman said she purchased the wood carvings after she originally bought the home, but she did not care for them and was leaving them.

Police advised the new owner that when he arrived after the woman moved out in August, they could have an officer walk through the home to document any damage.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates