Accused murderer has first appearance in court

The Bainbridge Island man who allegedly attempted to murder his wife by suffocating her with Saran Wrap at their Winslow-area home last week has been charged with attempted murder.

Kevin Michael Hardee was in a Kitsap County Superior Court Monday on charges of second-degree murder stemming from an attack on his wife.

Early in the morning of Friday, June 15, Hardee allegedly attempted to suffocate his sleeping wife at their Camelia Loop home by placing plastic Saran Wrap over her face.

The woman awoke in her bed unable to breath and a struggle ensued. She was able to momentarily free herself and fell face-down onto the floor next the bed. Hardee then held her down with his hands over her mouth and nose, the victim told police.

Hardee didn’t say a word throughout the entire struggle.

When his wife was almost to the point of passing out, Hardee suddenly broke off his attack and curled up into a ball in the corner of the bedroom, according to court documents. He began crying and said that he was sorry and that he was under too much stress.

He continued to say that he hated his life, job and his wife and couldn’t go on. He then got up and walked out of the room, according to the Bainbridge Island Police Department investigation report.

Hardee’s wife then locked the bedroom door and quickly called 911.

Police arrived to find Hardee sitting at his kitchen table, crying.

He told police that he “snapped” and allegedly admitted that he tried to suffocated his wife by placing the plastic over her face and also by using his hands. He said that he held his hands over her mouth and nose for up to 15 seconds.

Police found a roll of Saran Wrap on the floor near the bed, as well as a torn-up piece of the plastic nearby.

Police found his wife, still frightened from the attack, with scratches on her nose.

She was treated by the Bainbridge Island Fire Department, and while being treated, she told police that the last fight she had with her husband was over a week ago and things had been normal ever since.

She said that everything seemed fine right up until they went to bed together that night.

The woman later complained of neck pain and had a friend who works at a local medical center come to help her.

Hardee was also arrested for assault, but those charges are not currently being pursued by the Kitsap County Prosecutor’s Office.

Police had been called to the couple’s home before.

Hardee’s wife previously told police that there was an incident where he “snapped” just before last Christmas.

Police were called and Hardee claimed that his wife attacked him, which she said was untrue. His wife said that she had strangle marks around her neck at that time. The case was not prosecuted.

Two status court dates for Hardee have been scheduled for June 28 and July 12.

A no-contact order for his wife was also approved Monday.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates