Bainbridge blotter | Lock box bandit

The latest reports from the Bainbridge Island Police Department blotter.

Thursday, May 10

11:14 a.m. A parking lot company at the ferry terminal reported that someone had been taking money from the money box at the lot. Some attempts to retrieve money through the slots were unsuccessful and left torn bills inside. The reporting party said that such incidents have become a problem in recent weeks and a suspicious young man has been seen in the area when they occur. Police took a description of the young man.

Sunday, May 13

11:01 a.m. A man parked at Mieg’s Park to walk his dogs. When he returned one hour later he found that his car was entered while he was away. His doors were unlocked.

Monday, May 14

5:56 p.m. Police were notified by an off-duty officer that a car was parked partially in the roadway and the woman driving the vehicle was slumped over the wheel and appeared to be passed out. Police and an aid crew responded to the scene. Intoxicants were smelled in the vehicle by all responding parties.

The woman failed roadside sobriety tests and was placed under arrest for DUI.

At the jail she “played games” at the breath test machine, repeatedly pretending to blow into the test device. Police had to coach her on how to use the machine multiple times. Eventually two breath samples were recorded that measured .239 and .232 blood alcohol levels.

Wednesday, May 16

4:39 a.m. Police responded to multiple calls about someone trying to break into an apartment on Madison Avenue. The callers heard a man banging on the front door of their neighbor’s apartment. When police arrived, the man was gone. When officers contacted the resident inside the apartment, she said that she was sleeping and didn’t know anything was going on outside. Neighbors told police that they suspected the incident was drug-related.

5:02 a.m. Police responded to a noise complaint at an apartment on Winslow Way. A temporary worker painting a vacant apartment was working with his radio at an extreme volume.

When police arrived they had to knock three times to get the attention of the worker inside. The man answered the door and said he was asleep and didn’t realize the radio was on. He appeared to be intoxicated. The man said that he would comply and turn down his radio.

Within 30 minutes, the same neighbor who called in the original complaint called police again reporting that the worker was now yelling threats at him through the wall, specifically that he was going to “blow his head off.” However, the neighbor did not want police to intervene in fear that the situation would escalate. Police said they would return to the scene if the threats continued. They received no more reports of threats that day.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 14
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates