Bainbridge Island blotter | Phone call from Peru

The latest reports from the Bainbridge Island Police Department blotter.

Friday, April 13

9:58 p.m. Police responded to a noise complaint at a bar on Winslow Way. When police investigated, they did not find noise levels at the establishment to be excessive. They notified the bar owner of the complaint.

5:26 p.m. A woman was playing with her son at Hawley Cove Park when her wallet was stolen.

The woman told police that two younger women went through her purse as she walked away to retrieve her son who had wandered too far. She then saw the two women, who she estimated were in their early twenties, digging through her purse. They took her wallet. She called after them and they ran away.

She called her husband immediately and had him cancel her credit cards. Police checked the local area for the suspects, but could not find anyone matching the description of the pair.

Saturday, April 14

1:14 a.m. Police pulled over a vehicle on Bucklin Hill Road after it was observed traveling 10 miles over the speed limit.

When speaking with the driver, police noted the smell of alcohol. They asked the driver to complete roadside sobriety tests; she failed one but also could not keep her balance well during other tests. Later breath tests would indicate blood alcohol levels of .194 and .189.

The driver was arrested for DUI.

Tuesday, April 17

1:15 p.m. A woman walking along High School Road found a clear plastic bag containing a crystalline substance that she suspected were drugs. She brought the bag into the police department where it tested positive for amphetamines. Police entered it into evidence.

5:58 p.m. A resident on High School Road reported that his car had been broken into and items had been stolen. The owner said that he locked the car's doors at night, but when he came back in the morning, they were unlocked.

Wednesday, April 18

4:42 p.m. A woman living on Moji Lane received a phone call from a person claiming to be her grandson. The caller said he was in Peru and was in a car accident and he needed money. She wired a total of $6,750 to the man on the phone, but later discovered that her grandson was actually in the country and at college. She tried to cancel the wire, but it was too late and the money had already been received. She reported the incident to police.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates