Bainbridge blotter | Unwelcome visit by the ex

Monday, Feb. 27

9:30 p.m.: A woman living on Winslow Way East called police when her ex-boyfriend showed up at her apartment and refused to leave, causing her to fear for her safety.

They had not been dating for two months. Recently the man had sent numerous emails, had been calling frequently and contacting her at work.

The woman noted that the man did sometimes carry a firearm. When police arrived they searched the man but no gun was found. He said he was visiting his friend and that he had walked there from the ferry. It was discovered later that he actually drove and his car was parked nearby.

The woman came outside and said that the man was trying to leave a bag of candy and a letter for her. The letter was copied for evidence. The man was instructed to leave and not return or he would be arrested. The woman was advised on actions she can take in response to the harassment she was experiencing.

11 p.m.: A resident witnessed a young man removing items from a truck on Cherry Avenue, and quickly reported that a car prowl was in progress.

The young man was taking items from the truck and placing them in a grassy area under some trees across the street. He fled upon noticing he had been seen.

Police responded and intercepted the young man. Though they repeatedly ordered him to stop, he dodged left and right. The officer tried to grab hold of his arm  but the young man twisted out of his jacket and fled. Police retained the jacket.

Police searched the area but were unable to locate the young man.

The suspect’s jacket contained three pairs of sunglasses, one of which was styled for women.

Police contacted the owners of the truck who then collected the items removed from the car and placed across the street. Among the items were two Garmin boat GPS devices, two GPS antennas, two Airmar Transducers, one fishing pole holder, boots, an emergency car kit, jacket and a blanket. The total value of all the items was approximately $2,965.

The owner of the truck said that he forgot to lock it.

The suspect was a teenage male, with short blonde hair between the ages of 15 and 18. Police continued to search the area, but were unable to locate him.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates