News

Fire destroys waterfront home

Firefighters take control of the blaze early Sunday morning. - Courtesy of the Bainbridge Island Fire Department
Firefighters take control of the blaze early Sunday morning.
— image credit: Courtesy of the Bainbridge Island Fire Department

An old chimney has been determined the source of the house fire that destroyed a Bainbridge Island home over the weekend.

The Bainbridge Island Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire in progress at a home on Country Club Road at Restoration Point at 6:14 a.m., Sunday morning. When firefighters arrived at the two-story house, it was already heavily engulfed in flames and smoke. By the time the fire was under control at 8:30 a.m. the house was completely destroyed.

Estimated value of the structure and the items lost within the blaze are $1.78 million.

"It looks like a fire started in a 100 year old fireplace," said Fire Marshal Luke Carpenter. "It got through the brick and the mortar and started a fire in combustable surfaces of the house."

According to a BIFD press release, the fireplace failed to prevent heat from reaching the original portion of the house. This caused wood that was in direct contact with the back of the fireplace to ignite.

There were five people staying in the home over the weekend. Two were sleeping in the home while three stayed in the guest house next door. All were able to evacuate the home safely, however one occupant was taken to Harbor View Medical Center in Seattle for smoke inhalation.

A firefighter was also sent to Harbor View and was treated for first and second degree burns caused by radiant heat from the fire, through his protective gear. He was released that same day.

Carpenter estimated that the home was at least 100 years old and approximately 4000 square feet. It overlooked the Puget Sound facing Mount Rainier. The property contained two buildings including the main house where the fire began. There was also a separate guest house that received damage caused by the radiant heat of the house fire, but firefighters were able to save it from further damage.

BIFD received assistance from the Poulsbo Fire Department as well as the North Kitsap Fire and Rescue. The Seattle Fire Department also sent their fireboat Leschi to assist from the shore. However, in the case of this particular home, it was too far from the shore to receive assistance from the fireboat.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.