Search for burglar continues
March 3, 2011 · 5:18 PM
The investigation continues as Bainbridge Island Police search for the suspect responsible for the rash of burglaries in the Commodore neighborhood off High School Road in February.
BIPD Cmdr. Sue Shultz and two detectives met with some 50 Commodore and West Commodore neighbors to quell rumors and answer questions about the investigation. Eight homes were burglarized during the early-morning hours of Feb. 11-12.
“As a result of the meeting we have the potential to go out to other neighborhoods and have the same kind of conversation,” said Shultz.
Shultz said the police department isn’t ready to release any updates.
On Feb. 11, six of the seven homes entered were occupied by residents at the time of the burglaries, which occurred between midnight and 7 a.m. One resident had a confrontation with a suspect wearing dark clothing who was identified as a white male, approximately 6-feet 1-inch to 6-feet 2-inches tall and weighing around 190 to 200 pounds, at 4:30 a.m. in his home.
Police are still investigating whether the Commodore incident is related to a rash of burglaries in the West Point area late last year.
Laurie Rice, who is on the board for the West Commodore Neighborhood Association, said the police have been responsive to citizen concerns.
“We are really thankful that they came out to speak to us and offer safety pointers,” Rice said. “They have really stepped up patrol in the area and we are really thankful to have them. They took two hours to answer a lot of our questions.”
Rice said the residents were told to take precautions such as locking their doors at night, closing the curtains and leaving the lights on.
“It’s a sign of the times, people don’t have money and they are getting desperate,” said Rice. “We can’t live in our little Bainbridge bubble any more.”